A connection session is a time in which we get to work together, get to know one another and have some fun! We are very laid back and down to earth documentary artists who enjoy getting to know our clients on a personal level. We really enjoy helping our clients feel comfortable in front of the camera so don't be worried or nervous. We will direct, guide and walk you through the entire process. If you have an idea or something you think would be epic during your session we are up for anything! Don't forget to come with an open mind and sense of adventure so we can make some awesome photos. Here are some tips that we put together to make the session go as smooth as possible.
what locations do you recommend?
For the Adventurous Couple, a few options that we love...
- Hikes to a Waterfall or Overlook*
- Bull Run
- Wineries & Breweries (Leesburg, Purcellville, Bluemont)
- Great Falls
- Family Farm
For the City Slickers...
- Old Town Alexandria
- H St.
- DC Monuments (AM Session)
- Tidal Basin (AM Session)
For the Sentimental...
- Location of your first date
- Location where you got engaged
- Shared College or School
*Due to distance some locations involve a travel fee
pick a date & time
We shoot at the golden hour for light, which is either sunrise or sunset. If you are planning for a DC location, be sure to choose an AM session to avoid masses of tourists.
what do we wear & bring?
1. One of the most frequent questions we get is what to wear for the connection session? Typically this all depends on your style and where the connection session is being held. Here are a few tips before diving into your closet.
- Dress for the occasion.
- Avoid "loud" patterns, logos and graphics.
- Typically our sessions are held outdoors so wearing something that accents this type of setting is key.
- Accessorize with a flower crown, bracelets or spunky earrings.
- Anything that can create motion, like a loose flowing dress, always makes for really cool shots.
- Check out our Pinterest Board for help with matching.
- We recommend something casual that coordinates nicely.
- Guys can accessorize too! Bring a cool hat, like a fedora or cowboy hat. Leather suspenders are a nice touch.
- Boots or semi dress shoes always complete the look. We like for you to stay away from flip flops or sneakers.
- Rent a suit from Black Tux (we're an affiliate and its free!).
- Check out our Pinterest Board for inspiration.
2. Bring your adventurous side. We may hike a mountain, put you in front of a waterfall, walk through tall grasses, canoe on a lake or venture thru the city so come with an open mind and willingness for adventure.
3. Props. We try and keep props to a minimal so that it is easier to maneuver and pose. If it is chilly we recommend an earthy blanket like a Pendleton or something with a similar pattern.
1. Have some wine or beer. No seriously. If you are the nervous about getting in front of the camera, there's nothing a beer or some white wine (no red - stains teeth) can't settle. Please don't over do it, but this is a great way to take the edge off of being in front of the camera. Just know that we are super laid back and your nerves will be gone within a matter of 60 seconds...seriously.
2. Please be on time. We depend on the sun and it dictates how long we can get awesome photos.
3. If you want to bring your dog check out our blog on tips for bringing your pooches here. Just be sure to let us know!
4. If you have something in your life that you want to incorporate let us know. Like a classic car/truck or a family heirloom.
1. What happens if it rains? We will schedule another session that works for the both of us.
2. When do we get to see our images? Images take 14 days to edit and turn-around. We will post a sneak peak on Instagram and Facebook so be sure to like our pages. Please follow us here... Instagram ... Facebook ... If you want to share with friends and family be sure to hit the "share" button on facebook so they can see too!!